Public speaking: You can do it
Speaking in front of others in a meeting or more formal environment is many people's greatest fear. Yet it needn't be. With a little bit of guidance and practice, all of us can be accomplished communicators and public speakers.
These days the ability to communicate well to an audience of 1, 10, 100 or 1000 can help to ensure personal and professional success. Selling yourself at an interview; presenting a new product or service to colleagues, prospects or customers; motivating staff to persuading management to accept a proposal; capturing and holding the attention of media, analysts or investors. In each of these situations good communications skills are of vital importance.
The purpose of this one-day course is to equip people with communication skills that will be invaluable both in work and everyday life. Conducted within a supportive and encouraging environment, this one-day course helps delegates to feel relaxed when speaking before others. The course focuses on:
- Speaking before an audience to time
- Impromptu speaking
- Delivering a speech
- The importance of vocal variety
- Selecting the right words to communicate ideas
- Organising thoughts into a logical sequence
- Learning the value of gestures and body movement
- Learning the value of props
- Being a Toastmaster / Master of Ceremonies
The training points covered will not only provide an insight into communicating confidently in English but, to underpin the training points, British poetry, history and culture will be highlighted too.
That said, that tips and tricks learned can be applied when communicating in any language. Indeed, to build confidence, delegates are encouraged to be exactly who they are, celebrating their own unique culture and identity.
Delegates will benefit from the tuition of a facilitator who is a member of Toastmasters International, a global organisation devoted to the art of public speaking. The facilitator is an Advanced Communicator Gold (ACG) and was runner up in the UK & Ireland Public Speaking Championships 2006. She is also a Past President of one of London's oldest Public Speaking clubs. At the end of the session, each delegate will be provided with a comprehensive booklet that delves deeper into the art of communication and speaking in public.
Benefits for organisations / delegates:
- Improved communication skills when speaking to audiences of 1 or more people
- Increased motivation and confidence
- Improved ability to capture and hold the attention of others
- Improved corporate image due to better representation of an organisation
- Improved external and internal communication
- Better communication within teams
- More effective execution of presentations and work
Number of delegate: 6 maximum, to maximise the amount of practise time for delegates .
Price: £495 + VAT per delegate
* Note that the IoD operates a strict dress code of smart/casual wear. Guests wearing jeans, t-shirts, trainers or open toe shoes will be refused entry to the building.